Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Life gets in the way!

Me again. I really wanted to be more commited to updating this blog, but as they say... life gets in the way. It sure has.

Just a quick update to let you know I'm alive and kicking! I registered for the Rehoboth Beach Marathon in Delaware in December. It's not the nice fall upstate NY marathon I'd originally planned on. I fell short in my training, got burnt out, etc. etc. I couldn't commit to running in October without training right. The RB Marathon is very close to my parents' summer house in Delaware. I run a LOT in Delaware whenever we're down there. So this marathon is close to my heart. It's only 2 weeks after the Philly marathon which I usually run (but can't this year because we'll be in Disney that week). I can expect the same weather. I'm just hoping it's not crazy windy, this being a coastal marathon and all. I'm excited. Will most likely leave the family home for this race, as it is a 7 a.m. Saturday marathon and I don't think it's worth taking the kids out of school to make the long trip for them to freeze their butts off watching me lol!

I learned a lot about myself this summer - the exhaustion and my month-long hiatus from running - and someday I'll tell you exactly what I went through. It's a long story and I'm not ready to share. Soon. I'm incredibly thankful for my husband, my kids, my family and friends, and for all who read this blog and encourage me along the way. It means to much to me, more than you can ever know!

I had a great experience this weekend and I feel a little pathetic mentioning it here, but I just wanted to share. I have this friend, Fernanda, who loves to run more than anyone else I know. She's been throwing out invitations to run together for months. I've dreaded running with her because she's REALLY fast. I know running with fast runners will get me faster. But I hated the thought of running so slow I'd hold her back. Anyway, on Saturday I went out to run. I had done my long run on Friday, so this was going to be a casual run before my husband left on a business trip. I was thinking during that run of how I should really just suck it up and run with Fernanda - just to get that first run together over with. I'm almost finished my run, it's a beautiful day, and there ahead of me, coming right towards me... Fernanda. She made a motion for me to turn around and join her. I did. Ran an extra 6 miles with her through some great trails, really pushed myself, and hopefully didn't hold her back too much. She had just run 22 miles 2 days before this and this was her "recovery" run. After running with her, I just about collapsed. But I survived, and I know if I just stop setting limits for myself, I can kick some butt.

I'm happy to be back in the game...

No comments:

Post a Comment